USCIS Adult Adoptees & US Citizenship

Are You a U.S. Citizen?

In All, Resources by Admin

USCIS Resource for Adoptee Citizenship

Adult Adoptees and U.S. Citizenship

This page provides information to foreign-born adults in the United States who were adopted as children and have questions about their U.S. citizenship. Adoptive parents can find information about obtaining and documenting citizenship for adopted children (under age 18) on the U.S. Citizenship for an Adopted Child webpage.

Adult adoptees include foreign-born individuals who are now 18 years of age or older and who, as children:

  • Were adopted abroad and brought to the United States to live with their adoptive parents;
  • Were brought to the United States to be adopted; or
  • Entered the United States for a purpose other than adoption but were subsequently adopted in the United States.

If you are an adult adoptee, you might already be a U.S. citizen. You might have acquired citizenship when you met certain conditions related to your adoption and U.S. residency, or you might have become a citizen through naturalization. If you do not have U.S. citizenship documentation, that does not necessarily mean you are not a U.S. citizen. For additional information, see the USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 12, Part H, Children of U.S. Citizens and Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship.

Foreign-born adult adoptees who are not already U.S. citizens may still have a path to citizenship. You may be eligible to apply to become:

While this webpage focuses on adoption-based paths to citizenship, some adult adoptees may have other potential paths to citizenship. For more information on other paths, see the U.S. Citizenship and Citizenship though Naturalization webpages.

Your Path

To determine if you are already a citizen or have a potential path to citizenship, you should review the information in the tabs below, eligibility information, and form instructions. USCIS offers resources to help you determine your immigration status, obtain proof of U.S. citizenship if you are a U.S. citizen, or find options if you are not a U.S. citizen. Our resources include information on finding legal services if you wish to consult with an immigration attorney.

Application for Certificate of Citizenship, N-600.

For a Direct Link to USCIS visit here. 

Have concerns or complaints regarding International Adoption or your own adoption? Email

What's Your Story?

Ten questions to get to know you better. The purpose of this website is to connect with stories and heal through connection. Answer the questions you feel most comfortable sharing with the community. You can refer to the website to see what others are saying and doing and for the latest happenings. Please keep in touch. We’d love to hear from you! *Keep in mind: We request your email so that we can respond and ask questions if need be.

Questions for us? Email
Follow and like Korean Adoptees here: